Thursday, August 03, 2006

SummerTV


I've never been a huge fan of reality shows. Although I do remember the anticipation of the weekly Weds night ritual eating and drinking of more than the entire castaway clan of Survivor did during their entire stint on the island. Of course we all commented how great it would be to participate just so we could lose the weight (while shoving more chips & salsa down the pipes). Anyhow- those were the days before every station had some lame spin off, trade, or incredibly gross dare to lure viewers in (yah- you know you sat there with your hands on your face thinking how disturbing, yet you never looked away).

Anyhow, I have found myself lured by this incredible burst in Talent shows. I think its awesome when you get to see people slave week after week to come up with a new routines just so that I can pick them apart (with absolutely no dancing or singing credentials/personal abilities). This summer I've become one of the best judges of Hip Hop, Jazz, Swing, BROADWAY, and whatever other style is drawn from the hat. Seriously- these people twitch a leg in the wrong direction and I can spot it rewind the tivo and point it out to the rest of the crowd! And gosh- should someone have an off night or pull a bad time slot to dance during- they're GONE! Enough- not enough emotion, not enough flare, maybe TOO MUCH flare. Either way- its my way or the highway!

As horrible as that all sounds- I LOVE IT! I love watching Benji http://www.fox.com/dance/bios/03_bschwimmer.htm do his thing on So You Think You Can Dance. He is fantastic and can do no wrong in my book- he's got that 'just off the mission' innocence yet so much flare and style w/ his moves. He makes every other dancer look good. Just dancing with him makes you set to remain in the runnings for yet another week (even if you aren't all that good).

Suddenly, after the show ends, I CAN'T wait to see who he gets paired with the next week and what style is he going to dance too.

I think its awesome that people get to actually have a chance to make it big on shows like these. Sure, the best part of the season is watching the initial tryout bloopers and laughing *yet thinking - dude- that's probably what I'd look like if I 'thought' I could dance*

What show would you be on if you have a gift? They already have professional sports teams- and i didn't make any of those, so I'm going for *So You Think You Can Walk and Chew Gum at the Same Time*

Holler

No comments: