Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Turkey Bowl (The Larger version of The Rooster and the Hen)




Fall colors, cool crisp air, the food (don't get me started on the food), and oh so many other things lead to my love of Thanksgiving. Over the last two years in DC, I've come to love another Thanksgiving tradition. The annual Colonial 1st vs Colonial 2nd Turkey Bowl! Seriously, this could mark my favorite event of the year (other than winning the women's bball league 2 years in a row). It all started in 2004. Newcomers to the area, my roommate and I thought it would be smart to go show off our athletic skills (which we had hoped would spark a few interests) at this 'Turkey Bowl' everyone was talking about. So we jumped in head first and enjoyed ourselves immensely as the co-ed portion of the event took place. Unfortunately, it took a little while to convince the boys (aka... Roosters) that we had as much right as they had to be out there playing. After a while, we became bored and decided hot cocoa and snacks looked a little more appealing.

THEN, it happened. Somebody sparked the idea for an all female c1/c2 matchup. JACKPOT! Out came the the claws and the game began. Out of nowhere comes this flash of yellow and black to intercept a couple of passes early in the game. I think to myself, Thank goodness that chic is on my team or I'd have to hate her right now! She had some serious attitude-not to mention she was rockin' it with a dislocated shoulder! My roommate, this new found superstar, and myself (who later became known as the girl with the spin moves) pretty much swept the other team under the carpet. It was talk of the ward the next day- How great the girls did! At least the girls could make the bishopric proud!!!

Anyhow- that was the greatest memory and it also marks the day a beautiful friendship was created! I do my best to insist upon teaming up with that sassy black and yellow mystery girl everytime we are on a court or field together. We make a swell team and I'm quite sure when we aren't killing each other- we are quite unstoppable. Unfortunately for me- people usually won't allow us on the same team together and we have to match up against each other!

It appears that this years event may be the best of all. We have been playing in preparation, tutoring those who need a little boost (go WM- you're gonna be our secret weapon), and boasting team abilities anytime we get the chance! Stay tuned for a follow up post and maybe a few highlight reels from the day! Get your tails out there and play or cheer if you aren't a mover and shaker!

No comments: