Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Bballers 'Slash' way to the Vball championships!

So, let it be known... I Dani, will never declare myself to be a volleyball player. I enjoy playing (at times), but certainly am not what I would deem as great/excellent/awesome. I'd say Average skills but lots of athleticism! Now my friends Oakley and Yo-Yo are a different story! They are true Vballers!
Over Memorial Weekend- I just happened to be on a volleyball team for the Duck Beach Tourney! Basically, Yo-Yo asked if I would help her friends out for the day and be on their team (I'm sure I was not the 1st person on their list of subs, but whatev). I said yes! I figured- a day at the beach playing vball couldn't be all that bad! 3, maybe 4, matches and we'd be done, right?

Our team turned out to be a team of all Bballers- and only about 1/2 were great at Vball (that'd be Schmidt and Dees). Team atitude was that we would just have fun! No expectations...just play! Apparently that worked for us. Team after team went down for the count! We 'SLASHED' through the rounds and into the main tournament. Even more shocking was that our superstar pals did not make it to the tournament. Mind you- they had a much MUCH more difficult path than we did, and you could see it in their faces that they were a little disappointed with how things were going....
They were however our biggest fans and kept encouraging the bballers to play hard. Thanks to a few special fans - we were also supplied drinks, snacks, stretches and even an occasional rub down (Thanks A-bo).
Team Slash - yes, that was our official name - made it to the championship! We lost the firstgame, won the 2nd, and though we put up a good fight, we just couldn't get past the team that took home the title.
Regardless of our final loss, we still felt like we were awesome. For saying we had a guy who couldn't hit down (though looking at the pictures- he looks a little like hercules)and a girl who has no real volleyball love (though more for beach than regular for sure) - we represented Bballers everywhere!

Lets hear that team cheer one more time---- 'ssssssssslaaaash! :-)


In the very end--a some took it harder than others....

3 comments:

Slicktian said...

we did take the loss hard but good times were had by all.

ANJ said...

love the post -- some great photos. especially of ani and adam on the sidelines. that's an awesome shot!

Dani said...

CD- I had the most fun I've ever had playing volleyball! It was awesome! Thanks for having Kim put me on your team!

Sass- I LOVE the pic of Ani and Boone- way too perfect.